torsdag 3. juni 2010

Training Tip of the Month - Intensity Cycling

Jeff 'The Jersey Freakazoid' Long
Training Tip of the Month

How I Cycle My Training
It goes like this. I start with two weeks of heavy mass building/strength training to hit my muscles deep, to get that thick density in the muscle. Rep range is anywhere from 4-7 reps. For Week 3, I go to the shaping mode of training rep range, 7-10 reps. Week 4 is the high-rep week to peak the muscle, pumping as much blood into the muscle as I can and stretching the fascia. That's what is going to mature the muscles to get that grainy look— faster reps, 12-16 range, drop sets, super sets, and FST-7 training. I incorporate all that for the week, hitting each body part twice that week.
Once my four weeks are complete, I take three to four days off completely, to rest before starting the cycle up again. I always try to change the exercises up also.

Off-season Training Split:
Monday: Chest, biceps, abs
Tuesday: Quads, hamstrings, calves
Wednesday: Rest (30 minutes of treadmill)
Thursday: Shoulders, traps, triceps
Friday: Rest (30 minutes of StepMill)
Saturday: Back, hamstrings, abs
Sunday: Complete rest

• 2-5 basic exercises per muscle group
• 3-5 sets per exercise and 15 to 6 reps per set.

Nutrition Tip of the Month
Pre and Post-workout Nutrition
I have 70 grams of Vitargo right after I train, mixed with BCAAs and creatine, no protein with that. Thirty-five minutes later, I have 35 grams of Vitargo with 50 grams of Pro Complex protein from Optimum Nutrition. One hour later, I have a solid meal. Do that for a month and I promise you'll see a difference in muscle gains.
Before I train, I just do a meal: 9 ounces of chicken breast, 2 cups white rice, and a banana. I try to get most of my nutrition through solid food. During contest prep, the post-workout shake is replaced with chicken breast and vegetables.

Ingen kommentarer: